U.S. Shareholder Tax Information
U.S. Tax Withholding: The Company is required by law to have the following information for all new U.S. shareholder accounts:
- Certification of the shareholder’s Tax Identification Number (Social Security number for most people).
- Certification that the shareholder is not subject to backup withholding taxes.
Both of these certifications are included in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-9.
New shareholders can complete the substitute W-9 on the bottom of the SIP application form or one will be sent to you after your account is open. Without a properly completed and signed Form W-9, the Company is required by law to withhold 31% from reportable payments, such as dividend payments or sales, and immediately pay the amount to the IRS.
If you do not have a W-9 on file you can download, complete and return the attached Form W-9. Mail the completed form to:
Procter & Gamble
P.O. Box 5572
Cincinnati OH 45201-5572
The Company is required to furnish an Information Return each year to the IRS reporting each shareholder’s:
- Tax Identification Number
- The amount of dividends paid and taxes withheld (if applicable)
- The proceeds of any sales and the taxes withheld (if applicable)
This same information will be furnished to shareholders on Form 1099-DIV, for dividend payments, and Form 1099-B, for sales, prior to January 31 and should be retained for income tax purposes. Only shareholders who sold shares during the year will receive a Form 1099-B.